Sunday 8 March 2015

The Big Clear Out - Making Space for Creativity

It's not easy to follow up that last blog post. However I can hardly keep the 'More Laughs than Bronte' tagline if I don't lighten up the mood soon. We gave my Grampa a good send off on Thursday and yes, there were tears and sadness, but above all there was love. 

I'm back in London now, my next novel #PleaseRetweet is at the publishers, meaning I need a new idea. 

At the moment, I'm preparing for the new challenge by having a big clear out. My Mum's solution to any problem has always been: CLEAN OUT A DRAWER! 

It makes sense to me that clearing and cleaning your physical space, has a direct influence on your mental space, increasing the chance of new ideas and creative energy to arise.

After reading the brilliant The House We Grew Up In, by Lisa Jewell, I feel very lucky that I don't have any hoarding tendencies! But still, even if you enjoy throwing things out, there's always objects that stop you in your tracks:


1. THE 'VINTAGE' TOYS - I went over to my Mum and Dad's and rediscovered my childhood in the loft. I got so much pleasure from seeing my collection of Trolls and all the memorable outfits for my Barbies. Now I can't decide if I should try to sell them on ebay, or whether in 5 years I'll get even more joy from seeing them again. My parents would like their space back though... what would you do?

2. THE ONCE WORN PAIR OF SHOES - During my life I have made so many mistakes with shoes. I've finally learnt my lesson that cheap or synthetic shoes are bad news. Generally I spend more money on plasters and jelly pads than I did on the shoe. I was therefore most dismayed when what I thought was an intelligent selection of leather flats by Timberland ended with a severely blistered foot! My husband blames my feet. Anyway, they are in such good condition and my query has been try wearing them in, or accept defeat and sell them? (I've just decided to sell them - check them out on ebay!)

3.  THE MISCELLANEOUS PILE OF PAPERS - My urge is to rip my way through the pile. I don't think anyone can help with this problem. The solution is grit my teeth and deal with one sheet of paper at a time.

4. BOOKS - What's everyone's policy on keeping books? I'm keeping the signed ones, and the ones I might want to revisit to study their structure... but like most things, it seems a waste if they're not being (used) read by someone! Charity shop?

5. THE WEDDING DRESS - No longer a dilemma actually as I've sold it on ebay. Taking it out of the box and seeing how beautiful it was just reinforced my belief that it shouldn't spend the rest of its life hidden away! I hope the buyer has a beautiful wedding day and feels wonderful wearing it!


6. THE CHILDHOOD TEDDY BEAR - After selling my wedding dress I gave myself a pat on the back for being so detached from my possessions. But then I came across my first Teddy bear. Attachment flooded in. No way am I getting rid of him! The poor thing doesn't even have a name, but my god I'm holding on to him! 

Is this normal?! Do you still have your first teddy bear?







After all the clearing out, I'm bound to have a new idea for a novel very soon... 

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

Of course you must keep the teddy bear. Anything else would be inhuman. I never had a teddy bear as a child (violins???) but had Billy Boy who was, I think, a brown anthropomorphized pig. He had trotters anyway. He didn't survive my parents' move after I left home. When I was 17 my boyfriend was so horrified I had no teddy bear that he bought me a huge fluffy one. I have him still. (The bear not the boyfriend.)

Emily Benet said...

Aw, that's very sweet, and obviously now I want to see a picture! I'll definitely be keeping him even :)

Maxi said...

Wow, you sold your wedding dress? Well done. I will be keeping my as long as possible. I leant my tiara to someone who promptly lost it so I'm keeping hold of what I can.
As for Teddy! Of course, you have to keep him! I didn't have a teddy but I do still have my toy that was my equivalent. My cousin and I had the same one in Australia (we lived there at the time) but I've no idea if hers still exists. She's been with me through some very hard times and has soaked up a lot of tears but had happy cuddles too. I'd never even consider letting her go! It'd be a case of screaming and kicking!

Emily Benet said...

Oh that's rubbish re-tiara! I wanted one! No, there's no way teddy is being chucked after all the love and support he gave me without knowing it, haha. Hold on to your 'toy that was equivalent'... did neither of us give our adored toy friends names? Poor things.

Auntie K said...

Em-I'm 67 and have got my first (now very threadbare) teddy! Given to me by your great gramma and grampa. I'm not sure if he ever had a name though. It was a long time ago!