Monday 20 January 2020

Be the Change 2020 - Let's have a go!




I've been pondering and I've come to the conclusion that what I really want is a happy, creative and meaningful life.

There are a lot of dreamy quotes out there to kick off a moment of reflection, but I rather like:

Be the change you want to see in the world.

I want to see supermarkets where the food isn't embalmed in plastic. That means not buying at the ones which do. I've cracked buying fruit and vegetables without packaging, but I think I can do better. This year I'm going to double my efforts to shop in farmer's markets and eco-friendly supermarkets which also sell grains and pulses loose. I also could do better about buying dairy products in card or glass, rather than plastic. I'm going to be bolder about bringing my own containers and plan ahead more.

I want to see a world where people exercise their power as consumers in favour of the environment and equality. I don't want to invest in a fast fashion industry which traps its workers in poverty and pollutes their homes. This 2020 I aim to only buy second-hand clothing, or those locally-made, or crafted in a way that isn't harmful to the environment. I bought some of my favourite items last year from my local Allen Graham Charity 4Kids, so I'm actually relishing the challenge of being a creative and thrifty shopper.

I want to see the kids around me caring about the planet enough to not throw their litter on the street. I have a now not-so-secret-desire to finish an fun, animal-packed children's book I've been working on with a cute message about our heart and nature's song being one and the same.

Oh, and one more thing:

I want to see more of my novels in the world! ...Because I LOVE writing them, and some of you have told me you have loved reading them! 

So - as well as, erm, trying to be a kinder, more conscientious person - this summer I'll be launching my next contemporary novel, called  MELTING POINT - and no, don't worry, it has nothing to do with climate change! I'll keep you posted...

For more regular updates, you're very welcome to follow my Facebook Author Page.




No comments: