Monday 20 April 2015

10 Horrible Things That Are Still Nicer Than Katie Hopkins

There's a cloud hanging over me and it's shaped like Katie Hopkins. I'm annoyed with myself for being annoyed with someone so insignificant. Or maybe I'm annoyed that someone so insignificant is being given so much significance with such a massive platform in The Sun. 

How can the language of her column be described as anything other than hate speech? I wonder how much more tolerant people would be of her if she wasn't white and wealthy. As it is, she'll probably flick her blonde locks, flash her eyelashes and say, 'so what if I sound like Hitler? Hate me, see if I care.'

To make myself feel better about living in the same country as someone so odious and lacking in humanity, I've decided to catalogue 10 things which are unpleasant to many, but still more pleasant than Ms Hopkins:

1. Mole Rats  





Katie might identify with the female mole rat since the queen mole rat isn't born queen, but fights her way up to the top. 

However, mole rats are nicer, because they don't squeak about gunning down desperate men, women and children.



2. Cracked heels 


Unpleasant? Yes. But better to have cracked heels than a cracked heart made of ice.


3. Slow Internet Connection 






A first world disaster... and yet at least it delays the possibility of Hopkins popping up in your browser and calling you a cockroach. 



4. Cockroaches 


Unpleasant but a manageable size. If Katie Hopkins skuttled out from under a cupboard I'd have difficulties trapping her under a glass.


5. Street Hot Dogs 


You can only stomach them when you've had a few drinks, but at least you can stomach them, unlike the bile spewed out in that column.  


6. Faulty goods  

I know. It's such a pain when you get home to find what you've bought is broken. But as long as you've got your receipt, you can take it back. 

Has anyone got a receipt for She-Who-Will-Not-Be-Named*? 
(*I worry I'm giving her too much publicity.)

7.  Dirty Ovens 


A domestic nightmare. However, with elbow grease and will power you can transform a dirty oven from the inside and make it sparkle again. 

No amount of polish will make a rotten heart twinkle.  


8. Post Office Queues  

Often made up of people with hacking coughs, no sense of personal space, bad tempered 'tutters' and deodorant dodgers.  Still a more welcoming bunch than Ms Hopkins.

9. Damp and Mould 



A common problem in UK  flats, but as long as you're just renting, you can usually get a reluctant Landlord to remove it on threat of ringing Health and Safety. Easier than removing Ms H from The Sun... 

Or is it?


10.  Online Petitions 

My hotmail account is so choked up I've stopped using it, but still, there have been many successes and happy endings for both humans and animals thanks to online petitions... just one more then?



2 comments:

Unknown said...

This has made my day, Emily! Absolutely hilarious! I couldn't agree more. She who won't be named is making a fortune by being vile. The rest of us may be skint, but at least we're better than her. I hate to see slugs crawling about and leaving their mark, but not as much as I hate to see her trail of venom. She really is poisonous, isn't she? xx

Emily Benet said...

Pleased to have made your day :) Yes, I'd rather be skint than have sold my soul. She's very poisonous, we shall have to strive to be the anti-venom! Thanks for reading!